I thought that biodiesel already had a bit higher cetane rating than
#2 diesel?  I know that my truck knocks alot on D2 compared to
biodiesel, or even B20.

Honestly, I don't know. I've read some research which indicates that BD has less energy per unit than D2, and some which swears that it has more, and some that says it has the same. I would hasten to wonder if perceived performance gains aren't from the solvent-effects of BD versus the residue effects of D2?

Thanks!