Hello again Brian

<snip>

>Now Keith, please don't take this the wrong way (negative being wrong)
>has it occurred to you that maybe the flow of the JTF web site gets a
>little interrupted here and there? When was the last time you sat down
>with a newbie and watched as each step is absorbed and asked questions
>about comprehension? Again I don't mean to offend. For all I know you
>use your web page to teach newbies all the time and I am an idiot.

Actually we do, and a whole bunch of people do it on their own
without any more help from us, and others use it as a course to teach
other people.

It's layered information. Here's a comment from a user a few days
ago, not untypical, but he puts it well:

>Your website is very well done.  I appreciate the layers of
>technical complexity.  You have progressively more technical
>information layered in an escalating and logical fashion.  I like
>the links as each new item is introduced, the user can click for
>more specific information on a topic and it opens in a new window.
>This eliminates the tediousness of having to constantly backtrack to
>where the new concept was introduced.

But, sorry about this, maybe not if you're scatterbrained about it. A
guy complained once about all the new windows you end up with, I
guess people either get it or they don't. Most people seem to get it,
and like it. We get a lot of feedback, usually something like this:
"What an excellent site. Well done!" I've got thousands of them.

I'm an info pro Brian, I've been doing this sort of stuff for ever.
There's a lot of information design in the JtF website. Some people
want to go about it as if they expect it all to fit on a single page
like a story they can read, but the biodiesel section at JtF is about
half as long as the Bible and it's not a story, it's technical
information. Linear organisation like a book just doesn't work very
well online with that kind of material. Some of the attempts I've
seen fail to impress, trying to do it with footnotes and so on
doesn't work well. You have to layer it.

Anyway, thankyou, I'm very aware of how the JtF website works and
what the constraints are.

Best wishes

Keith