Hello Brian

I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong, people are always doing that to
me so I should know better. (But it was late...)

>Hello Keith
>Thank you for the thoughtful and considerate review of my weekend's
>fun in setting up our first mixer and solution of methoxide.

I didn't want it to be a putdown but I guess it was anyway.

> > Wow, the Dark Ages are back! LOL!
>How true, for me I don't know about Kurt.

In the biodiesel world it harks back to the good old days that
weren't but it was fun anyway, with people posting photographs on the
Web of their first batch of biod, leaning over open processors with
sparking drill motors doing the stirring and so on. A little later
they were wearing breathing masks while leaning over their open
processors, before it got figured out (someone asked a chemicals
company) that not only ordinary breathing masks but even organic
vapour masks are useless against methanol fumes. And so on. Now we
look back and shudder and wonder why nobody even got hurt, and what
are all those guardian angels that must've worked so hard to save our
asses doing with themselves these days, well-deserved early
retirement I guess. Anyway we don't want to be going back there.

> > Um. Look, I really don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm so
> > I'll try not to but I'm in wonderment at the way you're going about
> > it.
>Not to worry I can't be dis-enthused this easy.

:-) I didn't think you could.

> > This just isn't what it's all about.
>What is it all about?

Couple of things beyond the immediately obvious. I think the main
point is the context. Depends how broad you want to make it, it can
be as broad as you like, then shrink it down to the immediate level
and see how much of it fits.

There's this, from an altogether different thread a couple of weeks
back, three different people:

>>>I think you're misunderstanding. Calling you into accountability for
>>>accuracy does NOT imply hatred or discontent. Please be careful with
>>>your facts in the future!
>>
>>snip>
>>No need to be careful just to inspire.
>
>Yes there is. It takes both otherwise you'll mislead. Or you've come
>to the wrong place.

Which he then cheerfully admitted, no problem.

Arguably the opposite is more true, that if you're out to inspire
people you should be much more careful, not less, you have to take a
long view. And get your facts right.

With biodiesel, there are two ways of going about it. One focuses on
encouraging newbies - make it as quick and easy as possible to get
results the first time or they'll lose interest, quick results, never
mind what results.

So for instance one guy ("But I'm a professor!" LOL!) uploaded his
biodiesel how-to showing just that, Dark Ages stuff, him leaning over
open processors and messing with methoxide with no gloves, no goggles
and not even a useless breathing mask, just to show people how easy
it really is, he said, and though he was using WVO he didn't say
anything about titration because don't make it too complicated:
"KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid!" But KISS is as KISS DOES (Don't
Oversimplify Either, Stupid).

The next development or maybe the one after that was there's no need
for titration with WVO, just use 6.25 grams, Mike Pelly says so.
Indeed he does say so, but if you actually read it, what he says is
that titration is the most important step, do it very carefully and
then do it twice:

"To determine the correct amount of lye required, a titration must be
performed on the oil being transesterified. This is the most
difficult step in the process, and the most critical -- make your
titration as accurate as possible... It's a good idea to do this
entire process more than once to ensure that your number is correct."
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html
Biodiesel recipe from Mike Pelly: Journey to Forever

But a lot of people, even now, just use 6.25 grams. Maybe it'll even
pass the wash-test if you bend the test too and use hot water or
something, or more likely the wash-test gets sneered at as useless,
it doesn't work - onward to super-gentle washing methods that will
mask incomplete reactions loaded with emulsifiers and soap, and then
it's stir-washing that "doesn't work". And so on. There's a whole
school of this iffy stuff. "I've done dozens of trouble-free miles
already!"

But as you can see from the messages being posted here all the time,
the wash-test isn't useless, titration is necessary, stir-washing
does work, and diesels should do half a million trouble-free miles,
not just dozens. Quality-control issues are important, with making
biodiesel and with information, and also for the list, which has a
distinct role and function and will achieve different goals otherwise.

Will people lose interest unless you lower the goalposts for them so
they can score 100% first time? That's what advertising people and PR
spin merchants and our lords and masters think, they even have us
believing it, and after all statistics show that web surfers have the
attention span of a goldfish, only 9 seconds, so gratification has to
be instant. But did you ever see a goldfish doing something dumb? Did
a goldfish ever see you doing something dumb? Maybe web surfers
aren't so dumb either.

Newbies aren't after instant gratification, they want to learn how to
make good fuel for their diesel motor, and it turns out getting it
right is quite easy anyway.

Sure, Brian, improvising is also what it's all about, very much so,
and of course you can achieve the same ends by using completely
different means, that's what people do here all the time, all the
gear at JtF is that way too. But you have to learn something about
what you're doing first or you'll just be flailing about in the dark
(ages).

This division over quality in the world of biodiesel homebrewing is
nothing special, you find the same issues everywhere. "There's no
proof it does any damage" (unwashed biodiesel or whatever) (there's
lots of proof) vs We'd like to see some proof that it doesn't do any
damage. There's a geopolitical confrontation brewing between Risk
Assessment (read Ford Pinto, Bhopal, human-caused global warming,
business-as-usual) and the Precautionary Principle, which some people
were citing decades ago in connection with global warming, fossil
fuels use, the "Dirty Dozen" pesticides and so on. Decades later:

"An estimated 12,000 weather-related disasters since 1980 have caused
618,200 fatalities and resulted in economic losses of $1.3 trillion.
In the 1980s, the average annual economic loss from weather-related
disasters was $26 billion. In 2004, that number rose to $104 billion,
and in 2005, Hurricane Katrina alone is expected to cost $100-200
billion in economic losses." (Worldwatch)

In 1992 in Rio, 178 countries (including the US) signed the Rio
Declaration on Environment and Development and adopted Agenda 21, a
300-page plan for achieving sustainable development in the 21st
century.

This is Principle 15 of the Rio Declaration: "In order to protect the
environment, the precautionary approach shall be widely applied by
States according to their capabilities." Principle 15 is very often
cited these days at all levels.
http://www.un.org/documents/ga/conf151/aconf15126-1annex1.htm
A/CONF.151/26 (Vol. I) REPORT OF THE UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE ON
ENVIRONMENT AND DEVELOPMENT

http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/documents/agenda21/english/agenda21toc.htm
United Nations Division for Sustainable Development
Agenda 21 - Table of Contents

Risk assessment and "acceptable risk" (ie risks to other people) are
still paramount in the US, with more and more exceptions, but the
Precautionary Principle has established itself in Europe and
elsewhere and it won't go away. One way has a future, the other way
will destroy the future if we let it.

Think globally, act locally, and Agenda 21 has devolved to
local-level initiatives worldwide, they don't hit the national press
much but they happen anyway. People here talk about stuff like
eco-footprints and making changes in the world, energy
decentralisation, community biofuels, and it all comes down again to
your own backyard. Like Darryl says, "It's your planet. If you won't
look after it, who will?"

That's part of the backdrop to making a first test-batch of
biodiesel, IMHO, you can choose how much or how little of it you'll
accept.

See:
Cutting fuel costs
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html#cutfuel

Anyway, that's one point, and you get others below, especially the
one about a few hundred folks looking over your shoulder.

But nobody thinks you're a knucklehead. And let's face it, you were
being a scatterbrain, I wasn't name-calling, just a little impatient.
How could you forget both scales and a blender? Peace! :-)

Or almost anyway. Separate reply next message on information flow of websites.

Best wishes

Keith