Hello Doug

>Keith,
> I have to agree with you that Linux is possibly not yet for every desktop.
>
> I have used Linux for 6 years now. It has a tremendous support network (much
>better than its commercial competitors.) There are some jobs that are handled
>differently to the M$ product, & unfortunately it is a learning curve.
>However, the problems I find moving from one version of M$ Word for instance,
>is no more than I find learning about a Linux package!

I can imagine. But I don't use that comparison, especially not since
Word 6 allegedly for Mac. Word 5 was a good program but 6 was a mess,
just a half-assed makeover of the Windoze version, everybody dumped
it. Learning curve yes, but it wasn't worth learning.

> I personally use Mepis Linux, which I find has everything most people require
>all on one CD. There are other distributions equally as good.
>
> The thing that has surprised me is that the myriad of Virii, Trojans, and
>other malicious software that seems to attack M$ products, has not rung alarm
>bells with the average consumer, and made them investigate alternatives.

Sixty million infected Windows computers and the owners haven't got a
clue. But then a lot of them haven't figured out how to copy and
paste yet, let alone what a patch is. Windows isn't intuitive, people
don't learn by doing, and I think that might have done more harm than
the viruses have.

>think this will happen.

I hope you're right.

>I am already seeing friends who have no interest in
>computers, now firing up a live Linux distribution to browse on the web, and
>read emails. This tends to minimise the risk of a virus afflicting the M$
>system living on the harddrive.
>
> Macs now use BSD as their operating system. BSD is similar to Linux (and to
>other Unix's.)

Hence my hope that they might learn to talk to each other at some stage.

>Can any Mac users tell me if there are Mac viruses now? With
>the security of BSD I would doubt it.

Oh, there are, we keep hearing about it, only it's hard to find one.
I haven't seen one for 15 years. I think if someone does actually
manage to capture one and their existence is thus proved it should
probably be put on the CITES list like the yeti. Mac viruses are
supposed to come with MS macros, for Excel I think, maybe for Word
too. Well, you can see how vague I am about it.

>regards Doug (a linux die-hard)

Maybe I'll be joining you one of these days.

All best

Keith