The early (heavy) CFLs were a non-semiconductor design, which took some time
to come to full output.
 The newer electronic ones may use a higher frequency, which increases
efficiency. They definitely start much faster.

 I have had failures on some electronic ones, due to transients on our power
line. We are on the end of a spur line, & at night the voltage can go well
above specs. This could also be related to the batch of bad electrolytic
capacitors that were around a few years ago.
 The scenario goes: up in the middle of the night to service the bladder, turn
the light on & poof!
 As I said, I havent had this issue for well over 12 months now. We also have
the problem of 240v power, where most equipment is designed for 220v. This
stresses components, & if the voltage goes high, there is not as much margin.

regards Doug