Bob, Salaam, Shalom und Guten Tag.

Thank you for your concise and well-constructed message; it is certainly
better articulated than the piece by Santomauro, which I personally
think is
poorly reasoned, poorly argued, and full of pointless rambling.  I found
most of the analogies bizarre.

At the risk of making assumptions, I'm betting the gist is contained here:
"In brief: the Holocaust and criticism of Zionism are conflated into a
single issue so that the emotions generated by
the one serve to cover the crimes of the other."

I don't deny that this has happened, and that it will no doubt continue
to happen.  However, I have never advanced this argument, and have not
made any statements supporting it.  With regards to the above, it is my
belief that the following is relevant.
The reality of the Holocaust as a well documented historical event, and
the criticism of Zionism are two different things.  With regards to the
first:
I do believe, based on a fair amount of my own research, and discussions
with several WWII veterans, that there was systematic mass murder of
European Jewry by the Nazis.  I do not believe it is an elaborate hoax,
that it did not happen, or that it was a few random instances.  I think
the discussion of whether it was six million, four million or five and
half million is pointless.  The key metric is million.
I believe the West, including the US, has plenty of blood on its hand
with regards to the mass murder of European Jewry.  It's not well known,
but Hitler was willing to let Jews leave, at least up until 1939/40, but
no country would take them, not even the pious USA.  The US turned boats
back, and the refugees went back to their doom.  FDR did this.  The
State Department worked overtime to keep Jews out.

With regards to the second, I think that it is relevant to recall that
the early notions of Zionism had its genesis as a reaction to pervasive
and deadly anti-Semitism in Europe.  Proto-Zionism envisioned a return
of the Jews to their historic homeland as a means of escape.  Early
Zionists, Herzl for instance, did not envision the Arab resistance to
the movement, however, by the turn of the century most Zionists began to
acknowledge this reality.  Interestingly, until WWII, there was a great
deal of Jewish resistance to Zionism; after the Balfour declaration,
British Jewish member of parliament Edwin Montagu was completely opposed
to the notion of a Jewish state: he argued it would inflame the Arabs;
Jews had a right to live wherever they wanted; and this was caving in to
anti-Semites.  (One can find Winston's Churchill's fingerprints here as
well).

At the risk of over simplifying the subject, Zionism fractured and
morphed; it is not strictly true that the only meaning of Zionism is an
unyielding belief that Jews belong in Israel/Palestine, and that
Israel/Palestine belongs to them; however, for the purpose of debate let
us move forward with /this/ meaning.  I would not argue that Zionism
really resolved anything; I categorically think that in its short
history the modern state of Israel has perpetuated a long list of
criminally indefensible actions; e.g., Ariel Sharon was implicitly
involved in aiding and abetting the massacre of Palestinian refugees by
Christian militias.  I do not think that much of the Israeli
government's current actions with regards to Palestinians are moral,
legal or sensible.  I can't see any instance where blowing up houses,
bulldozing olive groves and building ill-conceived settlements has made
Israel better or safer.  In short, I do not condone Israeli acts of
violence against Palestinians.

But I don't condone Palestinians acts of violence either.  I think the
PA is easily one of the most corrupt and inefficient governmental bodies
on earth.  Not only do Palestinians have to deal with a malevolent
Israeli government, they have to deal with their own clueless, inept and
sticky-fingered administration. Recently, I couldn't have  imagined any
two people less-suited to working out any sort of peaceful accord than
Arafat and Sharon.  When they were both off the stage, I had hoped that
perhaps there may have been a chance for something better.  Throw in
Bush's inability to see beyond his own extremely narrow world interests,
and the possibility dims even further.

I see no black and white/right or wrong answer.  I don't see either
party doing much constructive.  The tit for tat has been going on for as
long as I can remember, and has done nothing positive as far as I can tell.

With all due respect, and I did consider your explanation carefully, I
still don't think hairshirt advances your point.  Red herring is a
better choice, in that
I assume you mean it diverts attention from the Israeli government's
policies and activities.  However, I freely admit I enjoy the semantic
and logical splitting of hairs.

Mea culpa with regards to my own previous bloviations; you have my
apologies for laying into you so harshly.  Looking at the original post,
I clearly made an error in assuming the line "Ahmadinejad's Holocaust
Problems are My Holocaust Problems " was yours.  I see now that it was
the original author's.   But I will say I didn't really see the point in
posting the piece in the first place - you're clearly able to string
words and thoughts together - a few minute's research and you could have
debunked it yourself.

And finally, thank you for your gracious invitation; next time I make it
to the Southern Hemisphere we can hoist a few and no doubt settle the
Middle East question in record time.

Best regards,

Mike Weaver