Hi Dawie

>My first thought is that big oil etc. don't want home biofuel-makers and
organic farmers to be the same people, just like big auto etc. didn't
want hot-rodders and cobbled-wind-turbine greenies to be the same people
in the '60's, even though things were moving in that direction in places.
    -D

That's what I think too. It hardly matters whether or not it's what
Pimentel intended, the guy's just a dupe anyway. I'm sure the American
Petroleum Institute (ie big oil etc.) know what they're paying for and
know how to get what they want for their money, and that's their usual
aproach, just business as usual.

More of same:

>The three PNGV cars all hit the target 80mpg, cost megabucks ($2 billion
in public money), were on the point of "result(ing) in real cars
available for purchase, not concept cars" (as this contest's rules
require), and got shelved, in favour of the FreedomCAR (ROFL!!!). Re
PNGV, check out "Jack Doyle" in the list archives. Well, these'll do:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg10943.html
>[biofuel] New Fuel-Efficiency Initiative Is More PR Than Progress
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg20667.html
>[biofuel] Fool Cells - How Detroit Plays Americans For A Bunch Of Suckers

Also somewhere in the archives is Detroit's claim that they dumped
electric cars because the consumers didn't want them.

And, ongoing as ever, flying in the face of all consumer polls and other
indications, industry's claim that consumers want gas-guzzlers and hate
the idea of better fuel economy:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/121407B.shtml
Industry Flexes Muscle, Weaker Energy Bill Passes
Friday 14 December 2007
 >Pared-down energy legislation cleared the Senate on Thursday by a wide
margin after the oil industry and utilities succeeded in stripping out
provisions that would have cost them billions of dollars... a $13
billion tax increase on oil companies and a requirement that utilities
nationwide produce 15 percent of their electricity from renewable
sources were left on the floor to secure Republican votes for the
package.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/121107R.shtml
The Widening Chasm on Energy
Tuesday 11 December 2007

Meanwhile this arrived yesterday, in the IFOAM organic conference anti-GMO
report I just posted:

>... The Chairman of the Soil Association, Patrick Holden, focused on the
topic of energy. He said that when oil reaches its tipping point, it will
totally disrupt all the energy-dependent market economies. It was quite
possible that that point would be reached in three years, when half of
all available oil had been used up. "Escalating energy prices are forcing
the world to think about sustainable agriculture," he said. In his view,
the moment has come to convert to low-energy farming methods. He was
definitely against the use of bio-fuels. "Bio-fuels are a catastrophe
because they create competition with food crops for land, and they are
causing rainforests to be chopped down."

:-(

And how much fossil fuel does Patrick Holden use on his organic farm? The
elephant in the living-room.

We've got the resources we need right here so we can easily figure this
stuff out.

But the organics groups don't have any such resources, and they're not
likely to get them, the damage is done already

Anyway, despite the American Petroleum Institute et al, home
biofuel-makers and organic farmers often are the same people nonetheless.

We didn't let Big Oil or Big Whatever doing business-as-usual stop us
developing DIY biofuels technology and putting it on the map, are we going
to let them stop us with this cynical spin campaign?

Best

Keith