Hi Dawie

>But note how I still haven't really captured the point I'm trying to
make? I fear it'll take a book.

:-) I think you did pretty well. Sorry about the old girlfriend though.

Nothing wrong with an 80mpg car in itself. It's just that, produced by the
current industrial system, while it would use less gas, it wouldn't be any
more sustainable than the allegedly clean green renewable sustainable
biodiesel produced by a massive centralised 200 million gallon a year
factory from fossil-fuel-guzzling industrialised monocrops of GMO
soybeans.

You can't get a real car from Detroit any more than you can get real food
from Monsanto or real health from Big Pharma, or real government from
Washington.

Fixing the unfixable:

"Economic growth in our modern times cannot be achieved with old
consumption and production patterns - a point brought into sharp relief by
our new Global Environment Outlook-4 which shows that collectively humans
are over-utilizing the Earth's nature-based resources at a rate that is
outstripping nature's ability to renew and replenish them... We need to
provide a boost to resource-efficient growth and innovation. We need to
break the links between economic growth and environmental degradation..."
-- Achim Steiner, UN Under-Secretary General and Executive Director of the
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) at the launch of UNEP's
International Panel for Sustainable Resource Management in November 2007.

:-)

Growth of what?

Apart from everything else, I disagree with this: "... collectively humans
are over-utilizing the Earth's nature-based resources at a rate that is
outstripping nature's ability to renew and replenish them..."

It's not humans who're doing that, it's an inappropriate, inequitable and
out-of-control economic system that's not human at all. The main players
are massive globe-spanning corporations that also aren't remotely human.

Apart from them, you're left with the world's affluent fifth, the global
consumer class,blamed for the lion's share of planetary ills. They're
supposed to be the beneficiaries of the system, though it's a little hard
to see the dissatisfaction and alienation that are a part of consumerism
as a benefit.

They're the ones with the massive eco-footprint, but it's really the
corporate footprint more than a human one.

The other five billion humans mostly have small eco-footprints that are
well within the limits of the Earth's carrying capacity.

So you can't say it's collective. That'd be like holding Swaziland to
account for America's greenhouse gas emissions.

Disaster capitalism and hyper-consumerism are the clear culprits - growth
without limit, consumerism without limit, the creed of the cancer cell.

Thoreau talked of "improved means to unimproved ends", but on the
consumer's side the ends have degenerated too, if instant gratification
can be described as an end, and you've already described industry's ends.

Gregory Clark says in "A Farewell to Alms": "Higher income does not even
come close to bringing happiness. Global studies show virtually no
correlation between high income and success in the pursuit of happiness."

Doug Swanson's excellent sig says "Contentment comes not from having more,
but from wanting less."

That's not quite the same as wanting lower gas prices, but maybe that's a
start - people know very well they're being ripped off by the system every
time they go to a gas station. So they start making their own biodiesel,
that's a downright anti-consumerist thing to do. Even short of that a lot
of people are realising their real choices aren't on the menu, whether
it's for a car or a new president.

Best

Keith

>Hi Keith
>
><snip>
>>> The aim ought not be 80mpg but an 80% reduction in manufacturing output
>at least.
>
>>Yes! - but shouldn't it be both?
>
><snip>
>
>I read your message before setting off on my morning constitutional, and
began my walk trying to figure out what bothers me about the 80mpg
target. I've actively been trying to articulate it for a bit over a year
now, and it isn't something I can put in a nutshell this morning. Suffice
it for the moment to say that it has something to do with the way
industry has always chosen technologies with the ostensible aim of
producing a better product, when their actual reason in developing one
technological trend and rejecting another is more the socio-industrial
position in which it would place them. An old girlfriend of mine had
taught me all about good reasons and real reasons, so this line of
thought, like so much else, is all her fault.

>Take unitary construction, developed supposedly to eliminate squeaks and
rattles, save weight, and provide the torsional rigidity required by
concurrently-developed independent suspension systems, but actually to
establish a methodology that needs large sheetmetal presses and dedicated
assembly jigs.

>And as regards the manipulation of legislation, industry's line is too
often, "Oh, big bad activist! Have mercy! Don't hit me! Especially, don't
hit me on this hard, pointy bit over here; right here; no, a bit to the
left..." They're too often in perfect control of what they're "forced" to
do.

>But somewhere along my walk I considered that there are other ways to
achieve 80mpg than the technological "tightness" the OEMs would tend to
pursue. It struck me that something like an Austin Seven with a small,
light, simple, mechanical-pumped, non-electronic, reverse-uniflow
2-stroke diesel might be a lot of fun, even with Austin Seven levels of
performance. It would, if done right, probably also be illegal just about
everywhere in the world.