Hello Francene

I suggested you should use the list archives, but it seems you didn't
get it. The list rules say that too.

Actually it doesn't look like you got the message itself either - did
you read it? I'd like a reply. The list rules say that too. The
message is here:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg72370.html>

>"87% of the US corn crop is fed to animals....close to 20%..is sold to
>wealthy nations to fatten their livestock. Virtually no impoverished
>nation will accept our corn....due to its being genetically modified and
>therefore unfit for human consumption." David Blume Alcohol Can be a Gas.
>It is in our SECURITY interests to use biofuels (and especially Europe's
>as they will get hit the hardest with global climate change = ICE AGE).

Really? In capital letters too. Got some proof for us?

>Biofuels are carbon nuetral.

Not necessarily. They're probably closer to it than fossil fuels, but
whether or not they're carbon-neutral depends how the crops are
grown, the energy used in the processing, co-product by-product or
waste-product handling, distribution. Even at its best, the methanol
in biodiesel is derived from fossil fuels (natural gas). So for a
start, are you talking about biofuels or agrofuels? That has a big
impact on how carbon-neutral they might be.

See Greenhouse gases and global warming:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html#greenhouse

>anything above ground is already in the
>carbon cycle. It's when we dig up coal or oil and burn it that we ADD to
>the CARBON in the atmosphere. This must stop. Burning biofuels adds
>carbon but growing the biofuels subtracts carbon. It is carbon neutral
>and that is the whole concept from which we must base our transportation
>needs on. WE CAN'T KEEP DIGGING, PUMPING, BURNING and ADDING CARBON TO
>OUR ATMOSPHERE. Carbon neutral is also why it is OK to burn wood to heat
>your house, as long as the trees are replanted. "Potential total alcohol
>yields from several fibrous crops could routinely top 1500 to 5000
>gallons/acre per year. Crops such as hemp, sudan grass, switchgrass, and
>many fast growing trees can be grown for a high yields of alcohol per
>acre, even on land that isn't considered cropland or farmland. So at
>5000+ gallons/acre, the US might even use less than 15% of it's prime
>cropland to serve all of it's transportation fuel needs". David Blume
>"Oil can be produced, pumped from the ground and refined without directly
>impinging on other pieces of the world economy"..7 myths of energy
>independence.....This is BS. What about global climate change????? What
>about asthma, cancer, war, ETC. What about climate and war refugees????

Hey, Francene, try decaffeinated next time! LOL! This: "WE CAN'T KEEP
DIGGING, PUMPING, BURNING and ADDING CARBON TO OUR ATMOSPHERE" is
called "SHOUTING", it's bad netiquette, it's RUDE. One question-mark
is enough, four or five of them at a time doesn't help to thump the
message home. It sounds like you're just shouting slogans and
rhetoric. This isn't the place for it, a lot of the members have been
working with all this stuff for years, they don't need to be yelled
at. Reasoned and informed discussion is better.

By the way, please don't think that because I forwarded the Mother
Jones piece that means I agree with it, such forwards are FYIs, for
your information, worthy of note. Of course there's much to disagree
with, but it's worthy of note just the same.

Best