One of the worst BLACK IDEAS PAINTED GREEN is the proposition of all
electric cars or plug-in hybrids. The proponents talk about how we could
use little or no oil if we just plugged our cars in at night and charged
their batteries at home. If you don't drive too far, the gasoline engine
in the hybrid might never be needed during the day, and think about how
clean the air would be. But the electricity doesn't appear by magic. It'd
made from dirty coal or nuclear power for the most part. So when you
charge batteries with grid electricity, the toxins are moved from the
tailpipe to the power plant. What's worse is that nighttime charging
makes a market for otherwise unmarketable, expensive, nighttime coal or
nuclear power. The only exception to this otherwise awful scenario is
when you generate your own power cleanly from alcohol and use it to
charge your electric or alcohol-powered hybrid car batteries and heat
your home at the same time. Solar electric panels are useless for
charging your car at night, and even if you put solar electricity into
the grid during the day, it wouldn't change the fact that nighttime
plug-ins woud make a market for dirty power after dark. David Blume
Alcohol Can Be a Gas Fueling An Ethanol  Revolution for the 21st century

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?