Hi Jim,
You wrote:
"I was intially trying different KOH concentrations because I was not
passing the wash test; I assumed that this was due to better-than-expected
KOH quality"
and
"As I reduced KOH concentration, my wash test results worsened and the
methanol test indicated incomplete reactions so I reversed course and began
increasing KOH concentration.- I found that I can pass the methanol test
with higher KOH concentration (5.9 g/L & 6.1 g/L)."

5.9g KOH/L  and  6.1g HOH/L  -----> pass the methanol Quality Test.
Success with 5.9 g KOH/L indicates that the KOH you are using is about 83%
pure  ....
that is, if this veg oil has no Free Fatty Acids.

Given a successful quality test, the emulsion you observe in the wash test
is likely due to the presence of soap. 18 hours of settling time ought to be
sufficient especially given a complete reaction. I  suspect that there was
glycerin contamination in the wash.

>At this point, I think I have isolated the source of my wash problems to:
>(1) incomplete separation of glycerin (I just purchased a separatory funnel
>that will >accomodate my test batches to eliminate this problem... I didn't
>have the sep funnel for >those batches)"   ..... the 5.9 & 6.1 g KOH/L
>batches that passed QT but failed wash.

     Be careful to exclude glycerin from the wash, even if it means draining
a bit of BD with the glycerin. The last time I had a problem w. soap was
whenI accidently drained some glycerin into the wash tank.

>I will mix another batch using 5.9 g/L for 20 - 30 minutes; if I pass the
>methanol test, >can I assume that I'm getting a complete reaction? -
Yes

That is, by the way, the hard part. Focus on achieving a complete reaction
....  passing the methanol test.    5.9g of your KOH/L of this veg oil seems
to be correct.

You might try titrating the oil you are using. a recent post suggested
titrating all veg oil, even unused. I recently titrated a store brand veg
oil and it required 0.3g 90%KOH to neutralize the FFAs present. Another
unused oil titrated 0.7g KOH/L. You will have to become familiar with
titration for the next step.

      Good luck. It sounds like you are on the verge of success. You will be
thankful later for the effort you put in now.
                                                    Tom