Keith
>Of course there's a lot to be said
>for ease of communication, but people tend to see how like us other
>creatures are or aren't as a measure of their superior worth, or of
>their uselessness, which is odious.

That applies as much between humans as between humans and other species. How
often are people of other ethnicities not seen as somehow not quite up to
scratch simply because they aren't comfortable in one's language? This is
the well-known origin of the word barbarian. It goes as far as
actively teaching oppressed people to speak badly: I think of the pidgin
Afrikaans that black people were expected to speak here during apartheid, and
still are in some quarters. Bantu Education involved teaching children that "Ek
gan hallom die foshol vor Baas" is the way one speaks Afrikaans, and the result
then held forth as obvious proof that the people are intellectually inferior.
Parallel instances can be found throughout the history of colonization.
Odious indeed.
Regards
Dawie