Actually, there are a number of options at this point.

For one thing, the existence of a free browser plugin from Adobe, which hoped
to bring in revenues from serverside sales,  made it difficult for
competitors to offer alternative browser plugins.

For example, there are a number of svgt1.2 viewers out there, any one of which
could be turned into a low-cost svg plugin into IE if the vendors find an
alluring business case.

However, the appearance that MS are working on an svg solution for IE8 means
that any vendor thinking of going with a plugin for their viewer has a
limited window of opportunity.

It is far too early in the development of the demise of ASV to assume the
worst-case scenarios. They have created a vacuum for IE, and either someone
will fill it or IE users who want SVG will move to another platform. After
all, IE now has less than 80% of the platform worldwide, and in Europe that
number is far, far lower. When IE is missing a feature, that is no longer the
feature's demise, and is more yet another drop in user base for IE (hence
their working on an svg solution).

--
Ronan Oger
Director