A nice discussion .. hard to refrain to add my point of view ...

Obviously ASV is widely deployed on intranets (and to some extent on
internet also) of companies
to help building really useful graphic applications.

I think the reason is SVG is way superior (and much simpler to
implement)  to Flash when it
comes to real practical problems of interacting with data
and no fancy gradient or animations stuff is needed.

For these practical applications though we need a performant viewer
(able to hand dynamic interaction for svg of size typically over 500 Ko
note that on a standard workstation even ASV is too slow for this when
the svg is over say 1.5 Mo)
ASV has offered this for free and that was great. Unfortunately for adobe
(as I see it) the combination of public format + great simplicity of
SVG has made commercial authoring tool no really necessary
to build such applications ...

I am completely certain that companies for whom we deploy this kind
of applications would pay (reasonably priced) licences for a
performant viewer. So why does Adobe does not goes that way ?
I do not think that would compete with Flash

Best
JD