Hi,

I use swfmill myself in a similar way. Since you are simply executing a pre-compiled binary and aren't linking or directly communicating with the swfmill program in any way, it is allowed.

You can even include swfmill with your tool. Just make sure that the directory where your installer places swfmill also contains a copy of the GPL and an "about" file that lists some info about swfmill (such as where to get it) as well as a link to the source code.

If your app sells, maybe make a donation to swfmill or something, since it's helping you make money :-)

P.S: This email is my opinion, it's not to be considered an official or legal viewpoint.

Good luck!
-av

i...@microsystools.com wrote:
Hi,

Not sure who to ask, so I am trying the mailing list...

I develop a shareware application (i.e. commercial + closed source)
which crawls websites.

I wish to call the GPL executable swfmill.exe through Windows ShellExecute passing "swf2xml %input-path% %output-path%"
Then wait for it to finish.

If user wants Flash extracted for links, the user would need to manually download the GPL application and point my software to it's location on disk.

Please note that I will *never* distribute any part of swfmill or any kind of automatic download of it.
Looking at FSF frequently asked questions:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NFUseGPLPlugins
I believe I'm a borderline-case.

What's your feeling regarding this. Is using swfmill from non GPL application against your wish? If so, I will find another solution. (Probably parse the pieces I need myself or use Adobe's pdf2html)

Would you consider making an explicit addition to your GPL license to explicitly allow this specifc usage?

best regards
Thomas Schulz