Am 29.10.2010 um 12:08 schrieb Claudio Prezzi:

> Hi all
>
> Why do you plan to build a new association if there are already so many
> associations in this industry?
>
> ICTSwitzerland.ch for example is the head association of the ICT industry.
> Below it there are for example asut.ch, the "Swiss Telecommunications
> Association" and simsa.ch, the "Swiss Internet Industry Association". Both
> associations already are involved in the political process of BÜPF and have
> many members of our industry. Why not just build a new workgroup in one of
> these associations especially for BÜPF issues?
>
> Just my opinion ;)
>

> Kind regards
> Claudio Prezzi
>
> COMsulting GmbH

The IT or "Internet Industry" is not really the same as Internet Provider.
People who provide services to internet users have different issues than people
who provide the wires. A "YouTube" has to deal for example with copyright
issues on a totally different level as they are more in a "responsible
situation" while a internet provider just transports content but is not
auditing or controlling the content and actually is not even allowed to look at
what contents go over his wire. So as you can see in this example, the issues
BÜPF would raise are totally different for those two example companies. That
means an organisation built out of YouTubes, Google's, Facebooks etc would not
be able to understand or at least care less on the issues of an  underlying
transport layer operator.

As far as ASUT goes, it represents all the big guys. Ttheir approach is also
very different. While a Swisscom, Sunrise, Orange, Cable Com can afford 100'000
€ boxes to filter traffic just for the fun of it, many small ISP's get killed
by those costs. Small ISP's which might serve very specific nice markets and
create jobs in specific areas are not being heard. Swinog is basically such an
"organisation" where lots of ISP "geeks" are participating but its not
organized enough as a legal entity to represent the ISP's.

So my recommendation would be to either build something new (Pascal's Idea)  or
make SwinOG a real organisation which represents the ISP's better.

Andreas Fink
Backbone ehf
DataCell ehf
SMSRelay AG