I vote for a different idea... As in latest syslog-protocol, define only the
minimum message size the receivers is required to accept. I vote for defining
it in both.  Syslog-protocol defines the least common agreed upon denominator.
Transport defines the minimum that is appropriate for the transport, which can
be higher if needed.  Thus, if a receiver implements a syslog protocol and a
given transport, it has to meet both requirements.

Anton.