I agree. The syslog-transport-udp-06 draft says this regarding maximum size:

"This protocol supports transmission of syslog messages up to 65535 octets in
size.  This limit stems from the maximum supported UDP payload of 65535 octets
specified in the RFC 768 [1]."

I see no need of restricting it further. For min size it says this:

"IPv4 syslog receivers MUST be able to receive datagrams with message size up
to and including 480 octets.  IPv6 syslog receivers MUST be able to receive
datagrams with message size up to and including 1180 octets.  All syslog
receivers SHOULD be able to receive datagrams with messages size of at least
2048 octets."

Sect 3.2 also has the rational for all of this - minimum MTU size,
recommendation to avoid fragmentation, etc...

Anton.