Banzsi:

I agree truncation does not solve the issue - that's why I don't want to
over-design it.

Splitting is an option I'd leave to application-layer running above syslog. It
is not precluded. Just a matter of another RFC with extra sd-elements.

If we do fragmentation in syslog transport/protocol, we are re-inventing IP &
TCP. We went down the path of defining special sd-elements for this once, but
decided that in most cases increasing max acceptable message size on receivers
and using appropriate transport is a better solution for many deployments.

I'd propose we do truncation as raw octet cut-over, but define an optional
sd-element for msg-length (in octets?), which people can use to know if there
was truncation. However, this would mean we would allow a proxy to legitimately
send malformed messages. Well, a receiver has to handle those somehow coming
from the original sender anyway. It is not ideal, whichever way you slice it.

Anton.