I think the suggestion from me and Tom (if I interpret his email correctly) is
to state that messages can be truncated at the end at an arbitrary point.  We
also make a note that this may result in invalid UTF character encoding, or a
change in UTF character.

I don't think it even warrants a SHOULD for truncation to preserve UTF
character in full. Valid characters when you only get some of them after
truncation may result in a wrong language word, anyway.

Anton.