From: Chris Lonvick (clonvick)
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 6:47 PM
To: tom.petch
Cc: 'Sam Hartman'; syslog
Subject: Re: Layer diagram & mib counters - was:Re: [Syslog] Comments
ondraft-ietf-syslog-protocol-20

Hi Tom,

I appreciate the thoughts.

I see consensus in the WG on the layering diagram.  I've asked Rainer to
update -protocol with that diagram and definitions.  Let's get that out
the door at this time.

I see that we are unclear on what we should be counting and the benefit
of counting it.  Glenn has separated the mib into textual conventions
and the counters.  The TC is now here:
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-tc-mib-00.txt
Would everyone please review this?  I would like for us to establish
this as our base and then we can have discussions on counting messages.

Thanks,
Chris

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, tom.petch wrote:

> Chris
>
> I am fine with the layer diagram given below but I am less clear about

> the consequences for the MIB.
>
> Currently, there is a table with an arbitrary integer index which
> contains application name, application control file name, receive
address and statistics.
> I have never been too clear on what an entry in this table represents,

> as I have queried before.
>
> The details below suggest that messages sent and received at the
> transport level become scalars (digression: need to be clear what a
> message is when this is TLS over TCP) with a table with an entry per
relay destination (per application?).

> Doubt one: we currently do not have any destination information in the

> table, only a receive address to bind to; will this be added?
>
> Doubt two; should we be - we should be! - providing a similar table
> for originators since they too can send to multiple destinations.
>
> Doubt three; should we have a table for different origins, else
> balancing counters will be difficult?  If a collector receives 30
> messages when the various relay and originator not relayed counters
> add up to 25, how do you know which stream has gone missing?  or do
> you parse the message and expect there to be helpful data in the SDE?
>
> This is all getting complicated and I am unclear about the benefits of

> going down this road.
>
> Tom Petch

sent to each relay destination.