Andrei Borzenkov composed on 2016-06-22 06:39 (UTC+0300):

> TBH, switch between run-time levels never really worked in the past,
> before systemd, so at least there is no regression :)

This is news to me. I was doing this for years. What brokenness was I
not encountering?

> Well, getty's are spawned dynamically on demand

Not here. I found the wait for them to appear when booting to
multi-user.target routinely frustrating, so I have a script to run
post-installation that creates e.g.:

/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants # ls -gG
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 53 Dec 27 01:54 getty@tty1.service ->
../../../../usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 38 Dec 26 19:46 .getty@tty1.service.01 ->
/usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 49 Dec 27 01:54 getty@tty2.service ->
../../../../usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 49 Dec 27 01:54 getty@tty3.service ->
../../../../usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 49 Dec 27 01:54 getty@tty4.service ->
../../../../usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 49 Dec 27 01:54 getty@tty5.service ->
../../../../usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 49 Dec 27 01:54 getty@tty6.service ->
../../../../usr/lib/systemd/system/getty@.service

> ...switching
> between multi-user and graphical would kill them. That's probably not
> what users expect.

+1

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/