On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Nikolai Kondrashov <
nikolai.kondras...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone on systemd-devel,
>
> I'm trying to solve a problem of supplying locale settings to non-shell
> programs acting as login shells in Fedora and RHEL, as described below.
>
> So far it seems the Debian way of doing things will work.
>
> Could you please confirm that the format of locale.conf is not going to
> change
> in a way incompatible with what pam_env.so expects?

Well, the format of locale.conf is meant to be sourceable by sh/bash, so I
don't expect it to ever change. It's also covered by the official
"stability promise" [1].

A better question is what exactly pam_env.so expects... Last time I
couldn't quite figure out when it wants a key=value file and when it wants
its own special "foo DEFAULT=bar" format, and in fact the manual doesn't
seem to match the actual behavior... Does it autodetect or something?

(Keep in mind that "sourceable by sh" means the value might be quoted and
with the occassional backslash in the middle – e.g. LANG="en\_US\.UTF\-8"
is within spec.)

[1]: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/
InterfacePortabilityAndStabilityChart/

--