From: Jack Pfeifer [mailto:pfeiferj@;nytimes.com]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 12:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: t-and-f: Meanwhile back at the hall of fame....

>i couldn't agree more, gh. i grew up with cal ripken but was shocked
>to see his passing gehrig chosen #1. it doesn't even belong in the
>top 5. my personal choice for #1, the 1951 Shot Heard Round the
>World, apparently merely dates me (even though I was too young to
>have known about it when it occurred). What are some nominees for
>Top Moments of the Century in T&F? A few possibilities (in no
>particular order):

Bob Hayes' 4x1 anchor in Tokyo
Beamon's LJ in Mexico City
FloJo's 10.49
Rafer Johnson vs CK Yang
Wilma Rudolph in Rome
Jesse Owens in Berlin
1952 4x4 Jamaica vs US
Lindgren defeats Russians at 10k
US-Russia dual at Stanford during Cuban missile crisis
Lusis vs Wolfermann in Munich '72
Mills's win over Clarke and Gammoudi in Tokyo
Ryun vs Liquori in Philadelphia
What else?
JP