Bob Hersh wrote:
> The Tokyo '91 long jump.  Perhaps the greatest field event competition
> ever.  And not just the WR, but the whole competition.  Just amazing.
And it was telecast virtually in its entirety.  Just riveting.  What a
series by Lewis!  I've still got it on tape along with a lot of other stuff
from the early 80's onward.  Field events just do not get this kind of
coverage any more.

More favorites:
5000m in Munich...the anticipation leading up to Pre's race was amazing.  I
had been in Atlanta to see a concert (I think Santana) and made a point of
driving home in the middle of the night so that I could be home to watch it
on TV.

Coe's 1500m in LA, defeating Cram and shaking his fist at the British press,
with Steve Scott fading and consoled by his wife after the race.

Carl Lewis' 200m in Indianapolis in '83, easing up significantly in the
homestretch, yet still running 19.75 to almost break Mennea's WR. (I got to
see this one in person).

And what about Michael Johnson's 19.32 200m in Atlanta, surpassing the
significant hype for that race?

bob