Sponsored by TWIST - Tablet Weavers International Studies & Techniques

Michael wrote:

I'm considering submitting an application, for a
couple of different workshops  - an all-day on silk
work with a focus on producing quality reeled silk,
and a two-section set of short classes on
tablet-weaving (double-face and brocade.)

Michael, I hope you will apply. There is a category called "bands and braids", and there have been workshops and/or seminars in tablet weaving on a regular basis for at least the past 10 years. I have taught at five of the last six Convergences, and quite honestly have had much higher registration for ply-splitting than tablet weaving. There is a relatively new rule that no class will cancelled regardless of the number of people registered, so if you are selected to teach, you know the class will go.

The formats offered at Convergence are 3-day workshops, 1-day studio classes, and 2--hour seminars. I would recommend that you propose a couple of different things in each of these categories.

Proposing something in the spinning category as well as the bands and braids category should be to your advantage. I have had good attendance at "hands-on" seminars, especially where people can learn something new and go away with something to show their friends. That helps spread the word, too.

Johnetta wrote:

I would be interested in finding out how to charge for teaching a class at
Convergence or other regional conferences...

Convergence pays a set fee to instructors, and so do some regional conferences. Other expenses may or may not be covered. For example, at Convergence, if you are teaching a workshop, they will pay your airfare and hotel, but do not pay anything toward those expenses if you are just teaching a seminar. My experience with regional conferences is that they cover all of your travel expenses. These events are typically at college campuses with meals in the cafeteria.

I have a written document ready to send to guilds and conference organizers. It specifies my daily instruction fee, and also that all travel expenses (airfare, lodging, and meals) are to be covered by the sponsoring group. When teaching for a guild, I usually stay in the home of a guild member and eat with the family.

Take care,
Linda

Linda Hendrickson
Laurelhurst Fiber Art Studio & Urban Farm
Portland, Oregon, USA
www.lindahendrickson.com