On 28/04/2024 15:19, Peter Neale via Tagging wrote:
A local Public Bridleway has a few (3, 4 or 5 from Aerial imagery) steps going down before it passes under a road bridge, and a similar number up again on the other side.

How can I best tag this? According to the wiki, "highway=steps" seems to be *an alternative to*, not *a qualification of * "highway=bridleway". I don't want to mislead consumers by breaking the bridleway, but I don't want cycling consumers to be unaware of the fact that there are a few steps to descend / ascend, which may require a dismount.

Assuming we're talking about something that's signed as a "Public Bridleway" in England and Wales*, then at the most basic level there are two tags to consider:

 * highway=steps
 * designation=public_bridleway

The first of those says that there are some steps.  There's no other way of doing that; there are steps, so highway=steps it is. There are of course lots of other tags that can add information to the physical steps (how many, which way is up, is there a bicycle ramp, etc.)

The second of those covers the legal "this is a public bridleway" part, as per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:designation=public%20bridleway?uselang=en-GB .  You can also add "foot", "horse" and "bicycle" tags too as a helper to data consumers that may not understand "designation".

There are plenty of designated bridleways with steps on them - see https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1KNx .

Best Regards,

Andy

* for Scotland see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access_provisions_in_the_United_Kingdom#Scotland and for Northern Ireland see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Access_provisions_in_the_United_Kingdom#Northern_Ireland .