> Glass houses, stones, and all, but I think it's a yicky solution, far
> too dependent on nothing ever changing :) If I were doing it I'd explore
> other options (storing user prefs in a db indexed by a cookie value, for
> instance) and work off of that. Having position-dependent values seems
> an invitation to fragility.

I'm currently storing preferences in a database, but I wanted to move to
cookies to avoid the overhead of the database connection.  This isn't life
or death-- just a convenience to remember what they were looking at last
time they used the same computer and browser.

> If you're dead-set on positional keys, maybe just using an integer and
> doing bit compares (I don't know how/if that works under JSTL, but it's
> a trivial custom tag) or something... Or just use a custom tag for the
> YNYNYYNN method, I suppose. Obviously the db (or similar) solution is
> more robust and mutable.

I'm not dead set on positional keys; that's just what came to mind to store
as the cookie.  In the Struts action, before it goes to the JSP, I can turn
that cookie into anything-- a Map?  An array of booleans??  What would be
easy to deal with in either JSTL or Struts tags?

That's what I came here to ask, really.  I don't think reading the cookie
with JSTL is the best solution necesarily, I just wondered if it was
possible.

Thanks!

--
Wendy Smoak