I took a quick look at the code as well and it seems like what you're suggesting
should work. In other words, if it's not a Document and it's not a
JSTLNodeList, but it is a Node, do this:

Document doc = getDummyDocumentWithoutRoot();
Node importedNode = doc.importNode((Node)varObject, true);
doc.appendChild(importedNode);
boundDocument = doc;
if (whetherOrigXPath) {
    xpath = "/*" + xpath;
}

instead of the current:

boundDocument = (Node)varObject;

At this point, the best thing to do would be to file a bug report:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Taglibs

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>