On 8/31/05, Karianne Berg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but I'll try
> anyway. I'm working on an application that requires me to place some of
> the
> JSPs outside of the servlet container, or at least in another context than
> the webapp itself. However, I can't find a way to do this. I have tried to
> use core:import, but this doesn't work, as the page at the url given is
> first rendered and then imported into the page. I need something that
> permits use of the variables sent to the including page in the included
> page. I tried with jsp:include, but this could only include pages in the
> app
> context.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appriciate them.

This isn't exactly a taglibs question...

I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this. JSP pages compile to servlets,
and those really need a servlet container around to operate properly.

One of the main purposes of web apps and war files is to make the
applications self-contained, but it seems that's working against what you
are trying to do. When you refer to "another context than the web app
itself", what do you mean, exactly? If putting the presentation in a jar
file that lives outside the web app meets this, and JSP is not mandatory,
then you could try using Velocity instead, and putting the templates in a
jar somewhere. Exactly where you can put this would depend on the particular
servlet container you're using.

--
Martin Cooper

Best regards,