Thanks for replying, Martin.

> This isn't exactly a taglibs question...

I was hoping there might be a clever way of using core:import that I hadn't
found, or something contained in one of the other taglibs.

> I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this. JSP pages compile to
> servlets, and those really need a servlet container around to operate
> properly.

The compiled class files could still be in-container even though the source
(jsps) weren't.

> One of the main purposes of web apps and war files is to make the
> applications self-contained, but it seems that's working against what
> you are trying to do. When you refer to "another context than the web
> app itself", what do you mean, exactly?

I meant for example in another web app, deployed seperately.

> If putting the presentation
> in a jar file that lives outside the web app meets this, and JSP is
> not mandatory, then you could try using Velocity instead, and putting
> the templates in a jar somewhere. Exactly where you can put this
> would depend on the particular servlet container you're using.

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.9. Does Velocity allow me to place views outside the
container with Tomcat?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Karianne Berg