On 8 July 2011 13:54, SteveC <st...@asklater.com> wrote:
> I would phrase it that the vast majority aren't lawyers and don't want to
> become one, therefore don't know the implications of the problems with cc.

It's a false assumption, the only way it would be geo factual data is
if you copied 1:1 from raster imagery, making maps is a creative
enterprise, regardless if it's stored in a database or not, just like
wikipedia content is copyrightable even though it's stored in a
database.

I believe CC has since changed their stance, possibly due to all the
discussion over it.

> The next step is to switch, and then if and when CC 4 comes out and is
> applicable to data then it's a simple process to change to that. Of course,
> in theory its a simple to change to switch from our current cc to the future
> one, but then we have this big gap where it doesn't apply.

AFAIK all you have to do is use a european ported license to cover
database rights and there is no issue with upgrades since all CC
licenses I've read include an upgrade clause.