On 11/01/19 19:51, John Berkers wrote:
Long time lurker, some time editor.

It is my understanding that marked "turn right only lanes" are not cause to create divergent ways.  These should be tagged using the "lanes" key as per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes

Creating divergent ways is considered "Tagging for the renderer" as the documented separation is not physically there.

I disagree. But then I could be wrong.
In the second (Canberra) example:
Where a solid line exists between the two groups of lanes there is a 'legal barrier' that you cannot legally cross between the two groups of lanes (2 go right and 2 continues
 straight on).
Using the tag lanes does not convey this 'legal barrier'.
Also using the tag lanes how can the turn restrictions that exist be tagged, the right 2 must turn right and the left 2 must go straight on ?

The first one, in WA, appears less of an issue to me. Perhaps the separation nodes could be closer to where the ways actually diverge, somewhere around the mid-point of the dashed lines, rather than at the start of them.

The second one, near Canberra, has clearly diverged ways most of the way along the bridge.

This intersection in Melbourne could potentially serve as an example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-37.93265/145.15653

Where there are actual medians between lanes, the ways separate, otherwise, they do not.

Hope I haven't spoken out of turn.  The views expressed above are my understanding of the guidelines with respect to mapping what is actually there.

Regards,

JohnB