Hi All,

Apologies for the boring subject, but I'd like to talk about mapping out
Culverts on (way/highway) roads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culvert

The reason we would like to map these is that they influence road usage and
in particular usage for heavy vehicles. They are very much like a bridge in
that they have weight & width limits and often have conditions of use (such
as maximum speed) or considerations during natural disaster scenarios (i.e.
flooding). *Note - tagging should be on the way, not on a node.*

This subject has a long-running chequered past that hasn't reached a
conclusion
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:tunnel%3Dculvert#.22Tagging_controversy.22_section

>From my understanding, the convention is to tag the water course (i.e.
river/stream/creek) as tunnel=culvert. It's great as it models where water
traverses man made structures and I can see it helping many scenarios.
However, it doesn't help with road usage.

We need to model/tag the culvert as part of the road infrastructure.

Questions : What are the correct tagging for the ways below?

   - Way https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28010677 :
      - *Q: Tagged as a bridge, but should it be? What else is missing?*
      <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28010677>
   - Way https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/783119480
      - Way needs to be split
      - Currently it is not tagged, only the water course is tagged with
      tunnel https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/27885431
      - *Q: What should the (split) segment be tagged with?*

We plan to be tagging a lot of culverts in the future, so it's important
for use to get some clarity around this for obvious reasons.

Thanks for reading & look forward to hearing your responses.
Andrew