Oops, resending to the talk-au list as a whole:

On Oct 5, 2023, at 7:00 PM, Little Maps <mapslit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> City = > 50,000 people
> Town = 5000 - 50,000
> Village = 1000 - 5000
> Hamlet = < 1000
>
> This kind of query gives a broad-brush pattern of how we can classify places
> into cities, towns etc. If we can gain consensus on broad cutoffs, we can
> then explore how services such as health and educational facilities influence
> outcomes.

A great OT query; thank you!

In USA, and by no means do I mean to be culturally insensitive or seem like I'm
ramming anything down anybody's throat, we use some rough guidelines at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States/Tags#Places which overlap
somewhat.  That wiki, again, deliberately USA-specific (and still emerging and
getting fine-tuned as of 2023) says:

City = > 50,000 people

Town = 10,000 - 50,000, though some "incorporated municipalities" which are
smaller than 10,000 (such as the rare state capital which qualifies, like
Montpelier, Vermont, or other VERY significant "towns" with less than 10,000
but they contain an important "cultural center" like a university, a hospital
or other "major amenity" will get place=town as well, this can include "major
shopping" or something like "the only big box (hardware, variety...) store
around for a long ways")

Village = 200 - 10,000, though this is flexible (as of 2023), and it is
emerging as consensus that a village contains at least a small commercial area
such as a supermarket, a small market (even a convenience store), a bank, a gas
station (or two, you know, for price competition's sake!) and perhaps a medical
clinic and/or cluster of doctor / dentist / medical offices.

Hamlet < 200 people

Isolated Dwelling = no more than two households / families.  (Could be a sheep
/ cattle station for you folks down under).

Trying to help offer perspective, please, though, "you do you" (Aussies do
Aussies).