On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Lionel Giard <lionel.gi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But for the roads, ideally, it should ideally be an area (like on the GRB of
> Vlaandereen or the PICC of Wallonia) with also the existing line to allow
> routing. I don't know, if we must change existing residential area when
> adding area for the road, because it will probably look good on the map, but
> maybe it would be a problem for people using the data ?! At least it
> shouldn't be a problem for the big highways, because they often don't have
> landuse at the moment (look at http://osmlanduse.org/ ).

as long as you keep the current way for navigation, and just add
area:highway there is no problem.
Just follow the area:highway instructions on the wiki and the
navigation will not get broken. I experimented with in on a small area
and navigation still works.

I contacted 2 mappers that map landuse in great detail (one in
Germany/Italy, one in Japan) and asked them for some samples.
I doubt that multipolygons are the way forward, too complex to
maintain I fear. We should look at detailed areas in e.g. Germany and
see how they do it.