I have no problem to use landuse=forest, and not natural=wood for any
patch that is "big enough". I would not use it in gardens, especially
not private garden. I would try to avoid using it when
natural=tree_row is the better choice.

I think landuse=residential is wrong under amenity=school,
place_of_worship (except for living area of abbeys). It would be
better if we had landuse=education / worship (or something similar).
We could recommend to avoid such overlapping.
I also saw some discussion recently to let e.g. amenity=pub enclose
the complete area with parking, playground etc. of the pub. Some
people even split landuse=farmyard, to exclude the living area and use
landuse=residential there. I think there is a large gap between the
current situation and the very fine detailed mapping of landuse some
other mappers are applying. While we can recommend the fine grained
mapping, I wonder whether what is the most important thing we have to
do with landuse right now.

I am more annoyed by connected landuse over paths/tracks. If there is
a forest on one side and farmland on the other side of the track, the
map should reflect this. So the landuse has to split and both have the
end on different sides of the track. But I assume everybody has their
own "battles" and priorities.

m.