The renderers don't entirely agree with the "new" tagging, and
probably won't any time soon.

Basically there's agreement that highway=path can be used for scruffy
paths in the countryside, though some prefer to use highway=footway,
especially if it's an official Public Footpath. There's a diversity of
opinion on whether highway=path should be used on decent
paths/alleyways in towns; most are probably highway=footway.

There are probably some people who use highway=path+access tags
(bicycle=, foot= etc) on shared-use paths. But in the UK foot=yes
applies to 99.99% of cycleways, so I think the norm is to simply use
highway=cycleway.

Richard