On 4 May 2011 13:57, Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The renderers don't entirely agree with the "new" tagging, and
> probably won't any time soon.

Indeed, because there is no agreement that the "new" tagging should replace,
or should be preferred to, the "old" tagging. Data users should probably
just treat them both as equivalent.

It's basically a mess so make your own mind up and pick a schema. Personally
I favour sticking with highway=footway as I've been using it for over five
years and am yet to be convinced that there's an agreed improvement in the
form of highway=path with various subtags.

Recently people seem to have started using highway=path for countryside
paths, but I'm not about to go and find all the paths I've added across
fields in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Berkshire, Gwynedd and elsewhere to
update to that convention. I still mostly find highway=footway when I go
walking in the countryside.

As Nick points out, the designation subtag can be usefully applied to either
and does help data users.

Regards,
Tom