On 31 May 2012 10:46, Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> I think we can import OS OpenData stuff into OSM can't we?

We can certainly use OS's OS OpenData products (with the exception of
CodePoint Open) in OSM because LWG obtained explicit permission from
Ordnance Survey to do so. [1]

The OS OpenData License consists of the Open Government License (OGL)
together with an additional attribution clause. The OGL itself is
compatible with both CC-By-SA and ODbL, since it mentions them
explicitly. However, my understanding is that the OS OpenData License
itself isn't compatible with ODbL because of the additional
attribution clause.

The attribution requirement means that any derived works need to
maintain the attribution. But ODbL allows users to give away Produced
Works which can then be re-used without any attribution requirements.
Hence we have an incompatibility. This argument was disputed by some
people during the license change debate, but LWG still felt is
necessary to get explicit permission from OS to use their OS OpenData
[1]. More importantly, LWG have explicitly stated that we cannot use
CodePoint Open (since Royal Mail refused permission) even though it
too is licensed under the OS OpenData license [2]. So I think we have
to take it that LWG's position is that the OS OpenData License itself
isn't enough to guarantee ODbL compatibility.

Hence, unfortunately, I don't think we can use the Hampshire data
(going forward under ODbL) unless we get explicit permission from the
copyright holders. For the maps, this would presumably mean both the
council and OS. It's a real pain that OS felt it necessary to fork the
Open Government License. :-(

Robert.

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2011-July/011995.html
[2] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2012-January/012688.html