----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Street" <m...@andystreet.me.uk>
To: <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Hampshire Rights of Way Data released under OS OpenData licence

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 13:29 +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>Hence, unfortunately, I don't think we can use the Hampshire data
>(going forward under ODbL) unless we get explicit permission from the
>copyright holders. For the maps, this would presumably mean both the
>council and OS. It's a real pain that OS felt it necessary to fork the
>Open Government License. :-(

Any other opinions on this or is this definite? The guy I've been in contact with at Hants CC was giving the impression it was OK, I could ask him explicitly if that's any help.

Nick

I have to admit that as soon as I read your first email, I had excatly the same concerns as Robert Whittaker.

While HCC could theoretically include any odd request they like in their
licence ("all members of your organisation must dance the fandango every
Friday"?) I can't see that they'd want us to enforce attribution of a
third party for any other reason than to satisfy licence conditions
imposed on them. Since the OS has already given us the green light to
include OS OpenData in ODbL then I don't see this as a problem.

However OS OpenData specifically excludes Rights Of Way information. So it would be difficult to draw any inference from the prior agreement between OS & OSM as to how that might apply to ROW data from HCC.

In effect you seem to be saying that since we have an agreement to use some specific OS data under the terms agreed between OS & OSM, then we have permission to use any OS data under that agreement.

David

If the
terms stated that we had to enforce attribution of HCC too I'd be more
concerned.

Cheers,

Andy