> Postcodes refer to points, not to polygons.

Are you saying a point in OpenStreetMap terms?

UK postcodes generally cover an area/polygon. How big that area is appears
to come down to how much mail that area is likely to receive, I think
that's how its described on Wikipedia. So it could cover one building, a
street or a huge area if rural.

Ordnance Survey sell CodePoint Polygons which is the polygons each postcode
covers. Obviously we can't use that.