On 19/10/17 15:37, Colin Smale wrote:
> Which boundaries are your referring to, which have yet to be mapped?
> There are big holes in Civil Parish + Community mapping in the north of
> England/Wales/Scotland, but most of England is OK. AFAIK all other admin
> boundaries are in there.
Parish boundaries are the one that normally catch me out ...
And often it's difficult to sort ward boundaries from one another.

> "Place" boundaries are a whole other can of worms, because they have no
> defined boundaries in most cases and most of the UK will be in the ether
> between places. They will usually differ from Royal Mail´s perspective
> anyway.
Hospital grounds and university campus boundaries are another area that
are improving, along with industrial estates, but one I look after does
not fair well with Nominatim as its WR11 post codes inside Gloucestershire.

> If the use case is to get decent results out of nominatim, we need to
> have a discussion about how best to approach that. I think we will not
> get there with OSM data alone - changes to nominatim's logic will be
> required. But it all depends on your expectations I suppose.

'Places' like Wychavon being used for directions are simply wrong, and
more of a problem often is finding places on OSMAND that are currently
not showing up properly. I had a run up to Haydock .. Wedge Avenue ...
but it does not appear. Adding postcodes around there will probably
help, but having selected 'Haydock' one would expect all the roads to be
listed? Not sure how OSMAND is holding data, but a search on
http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=Wedge%20Avenue%20Haydock#map=13/53.4778/-2.4421&layers=H
fails ... this is not really even a 'post' problem, just finding directions.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL