Lester wrote:
> Nominatim produces something of a overloaded location string

That's the case outside the UK as. Look up any address in Flanders and
you get Flanders somewhere in the address stack. This admin level is
never used on letters nor in navigation, only for administrative
purposes.
As I said before, the output of Nominatim is not meant to be put on a
letter. It just shows the complete "admin"/location stack known in
OSM.

The full information that Nominatim knows for "WR12 7EP, United
Kingdom" is shown on :
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=180306705
It does list a collection of streets. What you see on osm.org is just
a small set, which does not include the list of streets. The number of
streets in a postal code really depends on the country, it might be a
small number in the UK, but is large in e.g. Germany.

Of course there are other geocoders that are (partially) based on OSM.
Feel free to use one that suits your needs better.

I was just trying to explain how Nominatim works. If it does not work
for the UK, you have to build or use another geocoder if you make a
website for OSM-UK, as Nominatim fails to fulfil your needs.

m.