Hi Tom,

I'd consider this particular proposed use of highway=no to mean "there is a
public highway here but there's no visible path on the ground" to be a
somewhat country-specific and counter-intuitive tagging practice. It's
certainly being suggested here as a solution to a country-specific issue
regarding the mapping of England and Wales' rights of way network.

Perhaps other countries do use highway=no in this manner but it isn't well
documented and I could hardly blame consumers of OSM data from not
interpreting it correctly.

Kind regards,

Adam