On Tue, 5 May 2020, 13:26 Martin Wynne, <mar...@templot.com> wrote:

> Is a "public right of way" a highway?
>
> I suggest not. It's a legal construct, similar to a boundary line.
>
> Perhaps it should be mapped as a separate way, sometimes sharing nodes
> with a physical highway, sometimes not.

In English/Welsh law a highway is a right of passage, so a public right of
way is a highway by definition.

For OSM purposes? I don't know, but I've always assumed so. As discussed
for practical reasons I wouldn't tag a completely inaccessible prow as a
highway but I've never considered a physically worn path on the ground a
requirement for being a highway=footway, bridleway etc.

Adam