Just wanted to add that in my view the other reason to list by parish name,
type and number is that these directly relate to the legal record. Parish
Footpath 11 has usually been Parish Footpath 11 since the 1950s and will
continue to be so unless a formal legal process is followed to change
something. The numeric references for districts and parishes exist only in
an internal database of relatively recent creation. If 5 years down the
line the council adopts a new system any numeric references in OSM would
then be meaningless.

Kind regards,

Adam