On 19 Apr 2010, at 20:24, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>On 19 Apr 2010, at 20:07 , Alan Mintz wrote:
>> Not to mention that merging them will result in the inability to hide these
>> boundaries. When doing a bunch of editing on a road that follows one, in
>> the past, I've taken the time to verify that the boundary doesn't share any
>> nodes with anything and then remove it from my local OSM file manually so I
>> don't have to constantly deal with it. If it shares nodes with anything
>> else, this is no longer possible.

> fully agree, the good thing is these boundaries are tiger data and bad data
> anyway and should be replaced with better boundaries

While I understand the mantra of TIGER=Bad because of the state of the road
data, this is not true for the boundary data. Most of the boundary data comes
directly from recorded surveys (something not available for roads) and is not
"bad data" for most of the United States. The rural areas would be the one
exception (mostly because they did not have surveys converted to digital layers
in 2000), but rural areas are also highly likely to have realigned boundary
roads that no longer correspond to the original boundaries.

--Brett
Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017