Simon Poole writes:
 > Am 02.06.2014 06:28, schrieb Russ Nelson:
 > > ..................................... Let's say that I follow this
 > > route on my bicycle using a cue sheet and keep a GPS track. Then I load
 > > my GPS track into JOSM and create a relation and call it USBRS #47 (or
 > > whatever). How is this an import??
 > >
 > While not quite what you intended,

No, that's exactly what I intended. I think that nobody would be
complaining if I did the above. How, then, does it suddenly become an
import if I skip the step where I bicycled the portion of the route I
am entering? I cannot see how it does.

I'm not arguing about the quality of the route chosen by AASHTO. Maybe
they did a good job, maybe they didn't. I'm saying that the negative
characteristics of an import are completely absent from this project:
>   o imports create a whole new set of nodes.
>   o imports can have copyright issues.
>   o imports can be non-human-scale.
>   o imports can be data dumps that don't get maintained.
>   o imports make bulk changes to the database.

If an import is completely signed in every case, that doesn't solve
any of the problems caused by an import.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog