On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 5:59 AM Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> For background, I a 40 year resident of California and have lived, worked
> and/or performed volunteer work in five of the “six Californias”. At
> present I live in Orange County (part of the Six California’s “South
> California” and perform volunteer work, including map generation, for an
> area where the boundary between Ventura County and Kern County (“West
> California” and “Central California”) runs through the middle of the
> parking area.
>
> My guess is the only split that the majority in the state would instantly
> recognize would be “Northern California” and “Southern California”. However
> exactly where that split occurs is likely to be contested. :)
>
> Were I to hazard a guess, I would start on the coast somewhere around San
> Luis Obispo

I think Tod is correct here that north/south is the only split most
Californians would recognize, and that the dividing line is not consistent.
(You might also get a "Central California" from some folks, but the
dividing lines there would be similarly fuzzy.) My wife grew up in San Luis
Obispo, and people from LA tend to say she's from Northern California and
San Franciscans say she's from Southern California.

I realize this doesn't help much, just pointing out that you're probably
going to end up drawing some arbitrary lines however you slice it. Maybe
want you want is some kind of clustering based on number of nodes?

(As a further data point on the Six Californias plan, note that it is just
one of many plans introduced even this decade
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_and_secession_in_California#21st_century>.
So not useful.)

Hope that helps-
Luis